Tax Audit Experts
A substantial part of our overall practice is dedicated to providing tax-related legal advice and representation. Our tax attorneys in Maryland have specialized training and degrees in tax law. At JDKatz we take a specialized business-perspective approach to tax law. Our clients can expect better value with less cost and risk.
Our team of Maryland and Washington, DC Tax Lawyers have attained specialized tax law degrees- LL.M. Many of our DC and Maryland tax attorneys have attended the finest law schools in the nation. We combine forces with brilliant MBAs and CPAs to give our clients the best service possible. Our founding lawyer, Jeffrey D. Katz, began his career in the tax department of Big Four accounting firm KPMG Peat Marwick.
Representing Businesses and Individuals in Tax Matters
We represent everyone from Fortune 500 companies to individuals in tax matters. In each case, we follow a course of action based on consultation with the client and individually tailored to the client’s needs and goals. Our tax services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Tax audits: If you or your business has been given notice of an impending audit by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a state tax authority, our experienced tax lawyers can protect your interests and represent you in any ensuing controversies.
- Tax whistleblowing: If you have knowledge of tax fraud or tax underpayments on the part of your employer or any other entity or individual, our attorneys can help you understand the qui tam whistleblowing process and pursue your chosen course of action.
- Criminal tax defense: Our firm has a strong background in white collar criminal defense. If you have been charged with — or are under investigation for — tax evasion or any other tax-related offense in federal or state court, we will diligently protect your rights.
- State and local tax: We regularly advise clients on matters involving state and local income tax, sales and use tax, franchise tax, transfer tax and property tax.
- Exempt organizations: We help nonprofit and other tax-exempt organizations secure tax-exempt status and structure their activities so as to maintain that status.
- International tax defense: The IRS has been monitoring and will continue to monitor accounts held by U.S. citizens, corporations, business, or other entities overseas. The same is applied for foreign nationals who live in the U.S. and still maintain assets abroad. At JDKatz, we continuously strive to defend businesses and individuals who owe tax on income in the U.S. or in foreign bank accounts.