Have you had to relocate because of your job? Did you have to move at least 50 miles away from your current residence? If so, then you will be glad that there is a way for you to save money with your taxes. Not many people realize that they can write off moving expenses on their taxes, but if you have relocated 50 miles or more away due to your career, then you can! The following is a list from our DC tax attorney of the top items from your move that you can write off on your taxes:
- Mileage- Did you drive you car to your new place during the move? You can write off your mileage!
- Storage- Did you have to store your belongings in a storage unit during your move? You can write off your storage unit expenses for up to 30 days.
- Truck Rental- Did you have to rent a truck to get all of your stuff moved? Why pay out of your own pocket! You can write off your truck rental on your taxes.
- Moving Company- Did you have to hire a moving company on your own dime? Write off the expense on your taxes!
- Packing Materials- Did you drop a pretty penny for your packing materials? All of the boxes, tape, and bubble wrap can really start to add up, but don’t worry, you can write the cost of those materials off!
These are just some of the many moving expenses that you can write off on your taxes. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our tax attorney in Maryland.